Monday, August 09, 2010

Random Thoughts

The last four weeks have been pretty crazy for me. We started with Kids Camp and then a week of VBS to a missions trip in Springfield to some time away in Chicago. Here are some random thoughts.

1. Had a great time in Springfield with a twelve of our people helping out Rural Compassion. Kent Anderson and the Rural Compassion ministry is doing a great job helping rural churches. We packed hundreds of shoes for other churches, backpacks and also helping with their monthly mailings at the office. The warehouse was extremely hot but the team had a great attitude and were great workers. Wednesday night we went to James River Assembly to their prayer service and really enjoyed the time in the Word and prayer.

2. Jen and I celebrated thirteen years of marriage last week and to celebrate we went to Chicago, IL. We spent some time at the Aquarium, the Navy Pier and did some shopping. We also went on a dinner cruise as well along Lake Michigan. I can honestly say that my wife is my best friend and I love her more today than thirteen years ago. I love getting away and spending time just the two of us.

3. I had a wedding this weekend with two of our former Grinnell students Dave Krist and Christina Wagner. Dave and Christina were very active in our church while they were attending Grinnell and what an awesome couple they are. It was my privilege to perform the ceremony for them.

4. We had our second Back to School Bash on Sunday and saw over ninety people walk through our doors. We gave away shoes, backpacks, school supplies and free haircuts. God is good. I was reading in Psalms 37 just this morning that says, "The wicked borrows and does not repay, but the righteous shows mercy and gives." I believe that one of the best ways we can express the kingdom of God is by showing mercy to people and giving with no strings attached. Jesus showed us love unconditionally and by giving back to our community we can do a little of the same. Thanks to everyone who donated school supplies to make this event a success!

0 comments: